The quark-linseed oil cream makes an excellent base for a healthy mayonnaise that is every bit as good as the real thing.
This is the basic mayonnaise recipe from Dr Johanna Budwig’s Oil Protein Cookbook.
- 3 tbsp cold-pressed linseed oil
- 3 tbsp quark
- 3 tbsp milk (or 6 yoghurt)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- and/or 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar,
- tbsp made mustard smooth or seeded,
- Pinch salt.
Blend oil and quark very thoroughly then stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Use to top raw veggies or any salad, have on top a slice of bread or as a sandwich filling, use as a dip or as a relish or chutney with a bean dish or curry, use with a baked potato or mash – brilliant with salad potatoes.
Add in individually or any combination of the following:
- Chopped cornichon/pickled gherkins/dill pickles
- Chopped capers,
- Finely chopped herbs; dill, marjoram, chives, thyme, coriander, parsley, mint
- Chopped chillies
- Mashed garlic
- Soaked, chopped dried tomatoes
- Chopped onions, celery, tomatoes, cucumber, courgette, apple
- Soy sauce
- Caraway seeds, ground and/or whole
- 2 tbs soft cheese, hard cheese, herbed cheese or even blue cheese.
- Chopped walnut, pine nuts
- Black pepper, white pepper
- Green pepper corns
- Sweet red and/or green peppers, chopped
- Cayenne pepper